Quilts, Books, and Dogs

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Quilts in progress

Now that I've finished the Maple Leaf quilt, I'm working on binding the three quilts I got back from Kari. One is Minnesota Music - the top is Goose-in-the-Pond blocks pieced mostly from music fabrics and shirtings, and the backing is loon fabric from the state bird collection. [Cindy Mielock thinks I should have named it Loony Toons.] The block was my Block Exchange block from 2005. When I first started quilting 25 years ago, my cousin Jane sent me a card with the Goose-in-the-Pond block on it, and I've wanted to make a quilt using that block ever since. Block Exchange was a good opportunity to try out the pattern, and this one turned out beautifully.

The second quilt I'm binding is Woodland Animals, a quilt I designed using two traditional blocks, Prairie Basket and Vermont. The third quilt is Debbie's Christmas quilt that she started many years ago when she was in a quilting club. The top includes blocks from her quilting club members and from many of my quilting friends. I pieced the top for her about ten years ago, but it never got quilted (somehow quilting fell by the wayside for Debbie after Catherine was born). Rather than wait another ten years to get it quilted, I had Kari machine-quilt it for us. She did a lovely job - lots of feathers and stippling. Now I'm debating whether to handsew or machinesew the binding.

When these are done, I hope to be able to start work on a Pentecost quilt for my church. Because the Presbyterian church does everything through committees, my proposal is now in the slow process of committee and Session approval. I'm hopeful that the quilt will be okayed by Session by June so that I can begin to work on it in July. Stay tuned.

1 Comments:

  • It should be Loony Tunes not Toons.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home