Quilts, Books, and Dogs

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Getting inspiration for quilt designs

I get my inspiration for my quilts in many ways.

Sometimes from traditional quilt patterns - like my Japanese showcase quilt. I got the inspiration for this quilt when staring at a photo of a quilt done in 1930s fabrics in this pattern (squares sashed with rectangles and cornerstones - a variation on Puss in the Corner - not even sure if it has a name!). While I was concentrating on the photo, I thought that - altho I really didn't like the 30s version - it would look great with Japanese prints sashed in solid black to show off the rich colors. I mentioned the idea to my sister Debbie who said it sounded like a great quilt, so I drew up the pattern for last year's block exchange and was lucky to receive lovely blocks to make the quilt top.

Sometimes from commercial patterns - like my Blue Daisies quilt. I saw this pattern in a magazine ad done in pink fabrics without sashing. On Camilla's request ("blue quilt please!"), I adapted the original pattern by adding sashing and using blue fabrics and multicolored cornerstones. I also sewed the daisy petals slightly differently - straighter than the original windmill curve shown in the magazine. I kept the original pattern's black-and-white background fabrics, though, and used the pattern pieces for the appliqued daisy petals and centers.

And sometimes the inspiration comes out of thin air from an invisible Muse. :) On Friday at the Michigan Quilt Artist Invitational reception, we were given our invitations to participate in the 2010 Invitational. When we opened our sealed envelopes - which is always exciting because you're never sure if you'll be happy or disappointed - we learned that the new challenge is "South of the Border," Mexico, Central and South America. I went home Friday night with no inspiration whatsoever - not even sure if I wanted to do the challenge. Then on Saturday night, I went to the symphony with Daisy and Rose. The music theme was Espana, including Chabrier, Falla and Ravel with some Debussy and Radiohead thrown in for fun. Nothing in the music was "South of the Border," but while listening to Falla's Suites from The Three-Cornered Hat, I suddenly had the basic idea for my Invitational quilt. And - while listening to "Nights in the Gardens of Spain" - I mapped out the entire quilt in my head. Thank you Muse! It will be a fun piece - I'm calling it "Teddy's Palindrome." Stay tuned.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • How fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!

    So glad you will do this one.

    By Blogger Linda, at 9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home