Quilts, Books, and Dogs

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

More recommended reading and viewing

The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers (translated from German). Bonnie Bus recommended this book to me, and I agree! It is a wild, fun, funny book with great illustrations. The hero of this book, a dinosaur from Lindworm Castle who is an aspiring writer, travels to Bookholm where he meets with a nefarious bookdealer who maroons him in the book catacombs below the city.

The Book Stops Here by Ian Samson. The third in a series of mobile library (bookmobile) mysteries. In this installment, the hapless librarian Israel Armstrong travels with his mobile library van from Northern Ireland to England for the "Mobile Meet" and, as usual, much goes wrong. Also fun to see some gentle poking fun at library wifi and web 2.0 trends.

The Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. Tish, Lisa, Irene and others recommended this book to me. It is totally enjoyable. I listened to it on tape - 32 hours - and am now hooked. There are six more books in the series - yikes! There is a little of everything - historical fiction (Scotland in the 1700's), sex, sci-fi time-travel, mystery, romance, and adventure.

Slings and Arrows. This is a Canadian TV series available on DVD. Mel and Stu recommended the series to me. I've watched Season I and am picking up Season 2 at the library tonight. It is set in a fictional town in Ontario resembling Stratford. Really well-done with dark humor showing behind the scenes at a Shakespeare festival professional theatre. Also fun to see actors whom Tish and I have seen do live theatre in Stratford.

The Likeness by Tana French. Her second novel (the first was In the Woods - also excellent). I recommend that you read In the Woods first, although this second book can stand alone. Set in Ireland, a police officer goes undercover in a house where one of the roommates was recently stabbed.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home